5 North Texas Students Win $500,000 in Dallas Mavericks Scholarships – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
The Dallas Mavericks awarded five college scholarships to Black North Texas High School students, each worth $ 100,000.
Mavs College Scholarship recipients were selected for their ability to overcome obstacles to achieve excellent academic performance, financial needs, and scholarship award challenges.
“It is an honor to provide funding for these students to continue their education,” said Cynt Marshall, CEO of Mavs.
The winners are:
- Adefolake Akande, Tarrant College, nominated by Girls Inc.
- Howard Anderson III, Texas A&M, Education is Freedom nomination
- Isaiah Williams, Dallas El Centro, nominated by Big Thought
- Martwan Darden, Dallas El Centro, nominated by Cafe Momentum
- Ungellic Leffall, UNT Dallas, nominated by the UNT Dallas / TRIO program
The 4-year scholarship divides the $ 500,000 between the five students and gives each recipient $ 25,000 annually for their college education.
In addition to the scholarship, the students are looked after by Mavericks employees and have the opportunity to do summer jobs / internships in a team.
Each student was nominated by local Dallas Mavericks community partners such as: Big Thought, Cafe Momentum, Education Is Freedom, For Oak Cliff, Girls Inc., Paul Quinn College, UNT Dallas / Trio Program, and Young Women’s Preparatory Network .
“Our children are our future and here at the Dallas Mavericks we will continue to invest in enriching the lives of our youth and securing their futures,” said Marshall.